Erin Vogel, PhD
Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatrics, OU College of Medicine
Dr. Erin Vogel is an Assistant Professor in the TSET Health Promotion Research Center and the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. Trained as a social psychologist, her research program uses experimental, observational, and qualitative approaches to examine social influences on tobacco use and the use of digital tools and social media to address tobacco and other substance use among priority populations (e.g., youth, the LGBTQ+ community). Her current research focuses on: 1 ) the influence of social media on youth tobacco product use, 2) youth perceptions of emerging oral nicotine products, and 3) digital tools for reducing problematic substance use.
Dr. Vogel aims to take a holistic, solutions-oriented approach to cultural phenomena such as social media use, with a nuanced appreciation for both positive and negative effects and how a diverse user base may be differentially impacted. Prior to joining the HPRC, Dr. Vogel completed fellowships at Stanford University and the University of California, San Francisco.
University of Toledo, Toledo - Experimental Psychology Doctoral Program
Department of Psychiatry; University of California, San Francisco; San Francisco, CA - Postdoctoral Fellowship
Stanford Prevention Research Center; Stanford University; Stanford, CA - Postdoctoral Fellowship
- University of Southern California Tobacco Center of Regulatory Science, Rapid Response Project Grant
8/1/2022 – 7/31/2022
“Perceptions of and intentions to use nicotine pouches among young adults who use tobacco”
Total Costs: $65,226
- Vogel EA, Ramo DE, Rubinstein ML, Delucchi KL, Darrow S, Costello C, Prochaska JJ. Effects of social media on adolescents’ willingness and intention to use e-cigarettes: An experimental investigation. Nicotine Tob Res. 2021;23(4):694-701.
- Vogel EA, Ramo DE, Meacham MC, Prochaska JJ, Delucchi KL, Humfleet GL. The Put It Out Project (POP) Facebook intervention for young sexual and gender minority smokers: Outcomes of a pilot randomized controlled trial. Nicotine Tob Res. 2020;22(9):1614-1621.
- Vogel EA, Pechmann C. Associations between emotions expressed in online peer support groups and successful smoking cessation: Application of text analysis. J Assoc. Consum. Res. In press.
- Vogel EA, Guillory J., Ling PM. Sponsorship disclosures and perceptions of e-cigarette Instagram posts. Tob Regul Sci. 2020;6(5):355-368.
- Vogel EA, Prochaska JJ, Ramo DE, Andres J, Rubinstein ML. Adolescents’ e-cigarette use: Increases in frequency, dependence, and nicotine exposure over 12 months. J Adolesc Health. 2019;64(6):770-775.
- Vogel EA, Rose JP, Roberts LR, Eckles K. Social comparison, social media, and self-esteem. Psychol Pop Media Cult. 2014;3(4):206-222.
Full list of published works available at: